Thursday, February 29, 2024

Roaming Eight Years

I started this project on Leap Day 2016 because there is something quasi-poetic about a series regarding space and time having its anniversary on a day that feels like it’s outside of space and time.

The project has always been about memory, both mine and the collective memory of this city. I’ve been thinking about the way I learn, and repetition is one of the best ways for me to internalize new information and keep present not-so-recent findings. With that in mind, I made my roam today about revisiting places I’ve photographed before in the spirit of preservation and remembrance.

There’s been a tidal wave of heinous rent increases driving out neighborhood staples and I think it’s important to document these special places before they’re gone. Iconic Village Cigars, a West Village mainstay, was forced to shutter earlier this month, thanks to a rent dispute, after 100 years in business. Luckily for us preservationists, the shop is within the boundaries of the Greenwich Village Historic District, and any future tenant will be severely limited as to what they can change about the façade. The Hess Triangle, directly in front of the shop and my favorite quirk of rezoning and pettiness, is thankfully also protected. 

I've shifted mediums again - while my photos are still primarily shot on iPhone (now the 14 Pro) and Instax mini, I have also been steadily shooting more and more 35mm over the last couple of years. Because film is still not a cost-effective medium, I have had to be much more deliberate with what and how I make photographs, which has forced me to revisit the fundamentals of composition and pay close attention to light.

This project remains my driving creative force in this city, and as I said on the last Leap Day, it has pushed the bounds of my perspective. I can't wait to see where I am in another four years.


Village Cigars © Chelsea Pathiakis

Hess Triangle © Chelsea Pathiakis

No comments:

Post a Comment